Makes 8 servings
4 medium eggs
140 g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
140 g (1 cup) corn starch (cornflour)
1 tbsp gluten free plain flour
2 tsp baking powder Filler
Topping 4 tbsp strawberry jam
250 g (1 cup) thick double cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Dust with icing sugar
1.Preheat the oven to 180ºC (355ºF). Grease two 22cm (8.6 inch) cake tins.
2. Separate the egg whites and egg yolks. Whisk the egg yolks.
3. Wisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Then add the sugar a tablespoon at a time to the egg white, until dissolved. Then slowly mix through the egg yolks. Measure out the flour, cornflour and baking powder. Sieve the flour mixture into a large bowl two to three times (sieving It over and over makes for a fluffier cake).
4. Then sieve the flour into the egg mixture and fold through gently.
5. Divide the mixture into two cake tins.
6. Place immediately into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Check the sponge after 12 minutes and remove once they are a light golden brown and a skewer comes out clean (cook time may vary).
7. Allow to cool. Then whip the cream and vanilla essence
8. Spread the jam over the top of one of the sponges and top with whipped cream. Add the other sponge on top. Dust with icing sugar and serve with fresh fruit